The zucchini in my garden has been growing like crazy – I’ll have several small, just starting to grow zucchini and by the next afternoon they’ll be huge ready-to-pick zucchini. I love this vegetable because it’s so versatile and can be used in so many different types of dishes. It’s also a mild vegetable so it’s easy to grate up and add it into breads, muffins, etc. This is where zucchini bread comes in! I’ve never made it before but it seemed like a fun thing to try and a new way to use up some of my zucchini.
Since it’s been about 100* everyday down here, the oven is always my very last option, but if I wanted to make zucchini bread I would have to turn it on for a significant time. Then I remembered that I have a bread maker and I could probably find a recipe to use in the bread machine – and I did! I was very excited about this, can you tell??
Here’s how I made the bread:
Gather all of the ingredients needed: zucchini, flour, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, allspice, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, walnuts and chocolate chips. I thought the amount of zucchini was going to be A LOT more than I actually needed… it only took about half of a large zucchini. So shred up the zucchini needed…
Then remove the pan in the bread machine and add in all the ingredients starting at the top of the ingredient list working your way down.
Since this is a quick bread recipe and doesn’t contain yeast, it’s not super important the order of the ingredients but it’s always a good idea to start with wet ingredients and add the dry ingredients on top.
Once everything has been added to the pan, put it back into the machine, close the lid and turn it on to the quick bread setting. Let it mix about 30 seconds or so and then open the lid and mix the ingredients with a spatula just to make sure everything is getting combined.
The bread only takes about 1-1/2 hours to make and no oven and or mixing bowls are required… which alone makes this some seriously amazing bread!
When the bread is done, pull out the holder and dump it out onto a cutting board. Make sure you use oven mitts because the pan is going to be very hot!!
Slice it up, add a little butter on top and eat it up because it’s so delicious! It’s best right out of the bread machine but lasts really well for a few days wrapped in saran wrap.
And yes, I may have added some chocolate chips.. or equal parts walnuts and chocolate chips because chocolate makes everything better!
So if it is a thousand degrees outside where you live and an oven is just not going to happen, this is a great recipe to try – The bread machine is a magical thing!
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 large beaten eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Follow the directions on your bread machine (i.e. remove the inside pan, add kneading attachment, etc.)
- When your pan is ready add in the ingredients in the order they appear on the list.
- Attach the pan back into your bread machine and turn the machine on to quick bread setting.
- After it begins mixing, open the lid and give the batter a good mix to make sure all the ingredients are getting mixed in.
- Close the lid and let the bread machine do it's work.
- When it's finished, using hot pads, remove the pan from the machine and dump the bread onto a cutting board
- Slice up and serve. Enjoy!