I love salsa and I’ve been consuming an abnormal amount over the last few weeks, including this tomatillo version. This is now the second time I’ve used tomatillos and I really loved this recipe as much as the tomatillo salsa I posted last week. Now you’re probably thinking, what is the difference between this salsa and the salsa I posted about last week?
Last weeks salsa was only tomatillos and avocado and it was more of a sauce to use on tacos or other dishes. This salsa is a regular salsa recipe with tomatillos added and is perfect for dipping.
The tomatillos add a good amount of sweetness to the salsa so you don’t have to worry about adding any sugar in the recipe. I really loved this version of salsa because it kicked the flavor up a notch and made it just a little different than the normal stuff I make. I also love that with just a few tomatillos I can make a larger batch of salsa without having to double the whole batch.
To make this salsa I used my all time favorite salsa recipe and just added two tomatillos to it.
Tomatillos come with a little leaf like shell that covers them and needs to be removed. Then they will need to be rinsed to remove any stickiness that is left on the skin from the shell. Chop the tomatillos into quarters and add them in with all the other salsa ingredients.
Blend until you like the consistency and gobble up! This stuff is addicting and a nice change up of my regular favorite salsa. The tomatillos make the salsa more mild so add a little more jalapeno to add more heat.
- 14 oz. Tomatoes, diced or whole
- 2 Tomatillos, shell removed, rinsed and chopped into quarters
- 1/2-1 Jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- 1 t. Cumin
- 1 t. Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2-1 bunch fresh Cilantro
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or processor and pulse until a good salsa consistency
- Taste and adjust
- Pour into bowl and chill in fridge for at least an hour
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- *From the original recipe, I removed sugar and the bell pepper and added more jalapeno