I was looking through all of my posts I’ve made on my website and I noticed I haven’t posted any cookie recipes since March, which meant it was the perfect time to post a new cookie recipe. I bought a bag of milk chocolate chunks several months ago and have been meaning to put them to use but they got pushed to the back of my pantry and forgotten about… until now!
I decided to make an oatmeal chocolate chunk cookie and they turned out perfect! Dare I say this may be my new favorite cookie?! I even doubled the batch because I knew I would love them so much and I was right! Also, I wanted to be able to freeze a bunch of dough which this recipe was perfect for as well.
I love cookie recipes because there are literally thousands and thousands of different variations and it’s so easy to slightly adjust a recipe to get a whole new cookie. Even switching up the ingredients like using brown sugar instead of white sugar, or shortening instead of butter, baking soda vs. baking powder. I think these cookies ended up being my favorite combination of ingredients.
They were delicious! This batch of cookies really was the perfect oatmeal cookie with the perfect amount of chocolatey sweetness. They were slightly crispy around the edges and soft in the middle.
I baked them for only 10 minutes and they came out just perfect. I like my cookies still really soft and about a minute undercooked. They will still slightly bake when left on the cookie sheet for another minute out of the oven and then removing them to a cooling rack until all the way cooled will set them.
When you pull the cookies out of the oven, pour a large glass of milk and enjoy at least two cookies because you won’t be able to stop at just one.
These were the best! Make them today! The recipe below is the batch doubled which made just about 4 dozen cookies, so feel free to halve the recipe for 2 dozen. Or freeze part of the dough so you can enjoy these cookies at another time without the work of mixing the dough!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 heaping cup chocolate chunks
- cream together the butter and sugar - whip for about 2 minutes or until they are super light and fluffy.
- add in the eggs and vanilla and mix.
- add in the flour, oats, salt and baking soda and mix.
- add in the chocolate chunks and mix very gently or with a spatula.
- use a cookie dough scoop, scoop dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or baking mat. bake for 10 minutes at 350*.