I am normally not a fan of pizza, but I am a fan of homemade pizza. There is nothing quite like a delicious homemade pizza, crust and all! But a homemade margherita pizza is probably the best homemade pizza. The ingredients are fresh and it’s such an easy and quick pizza to make. It feels like a fancy restaurant pizza that I can make very easily in my own home.
There’s nothing better and easier than making your own homemade pizza dough, and you can find my recipe here.
You just need a few simple ingredients: sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. It’s typically made with a red sauce but I had a little leftover pesto sauce that I had made the other day (which you can find my recipe here) and decided to use that to add extra flavor, along with a red sauce.
Roll out the pizza dough using a little cornmeal for the bottom if you’d like, and then spread a light layer of red sauce over the dough.
Then drop on pesto sauce and lightly spread it.
Slice up some fresh mozzarella and lay it evenly across the pizza.
Take several fresh basil leaves and roll them up, then thinly chop it up and sprinkle that over the pizza. It’s making my mouth water – I think I need to make some more!
Bake for about 20-25 minutes at 400*F or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbling. You could even bake the crust for about 10-15 minutes with just the sauce on and then pull it out, add the cheese and basil and then bake another 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Slice the pizza and serve. I love this pizza, it’s so fresh and the flavor is amazing. It’s also a great way to use up some of that basil that grows like crazy. There’s not much that’s better than fresh mozzarella cheese paired with fresh basil.
If I make this again, I will make two smaller pizzas with the dough and make the crust a little thinner that way the pizza cooks just a little more evenly. This pizza dough recipe also makes 4 individual sized pizzas very easily, so it would work well to invite another couple over, or 3 friends, and everyone gets their own little margherita pizza!
- 1 batch Pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons Cornmeal, optional
- 1/3 cup Red Sauce
- 2-3 Tablespoons Pesto sauce, optional
- 8oz. Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 6 large Basil Leaves, chiffonade
- Preheat oven 400*F.
- Roll out the pizza dough over the cornmeal to desired size and thickness. Evenly spread on red sauce and then pesto sauce if using.
- Lay sliced mozzarella over pizza evenly, then sprinkle over fresh basil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Thinner crust works better with this pizza, or baking the pizza and sauce first for about 15 minutes then adding on the cheese and basil before finishing in the oven for an additional 10.