I’m always looking for a healthy snack, something I can munch on in between meals that’s tasty and healthy. And this, my friends, is a winner! Crispy parmesan and garlic chickpeas are every bit as delicious as they are addicting!
These take less than 20 minutes to make and make for a perfect snack for a couple days. They’re even a fun treat to set out if you’re having a dinner party or having company over. They’re savory and flavorful, and a unique snack to serve.
Let’s get started!
Start by cracking open the can of chickpeas and draining them in a strainer. Make sure you drain them over the sink, I almost poured the can in the strainer over the counter top! Rinse the beans with cool water.
Dump the chickpeas on a paper towel lined plate and pat them dry – we don’t want wet chickpeas going into hot oil.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat up a couple tablespoons of oil. I used olive oil this time, but you can use canola, vegetable or even coconut oil.
Dump the dried chickpeas into the skillet and toss to coat in oil.
Let them cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until they get browned and crispy (it’s hard to take a decent picture by my stove, there’s no natural light!).
You can even bake the chickpeas in the oven to get them crispy, I would do this if I was making several cans worth, but I avoid using my oven in the summer when I can.
Remove from heat and dump the chickpeas into a mixing bowl.
Immediately add in the parmesan cheese and toss.
Then add in the lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss the chickpeas so they’re all totally coated.
Taste and adjust any flavors if necessary, but they should be perfect as is! These are delicious warm, but also hold well if they stay out and get to room temperature.
The garlic and parmesan combination is hard to resist and becomes very addicting – you can’t stop with just one!
- 1 - 15oz can Chickpeas
- 2 T oil
- 2-3 T Parmesan cheese
- 1 teas. Lemon zest, about half a lemon
- 1/2 teas. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teas. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teas. Black Pepper
- Open the can of chickpeas, drain them in a strainer and then rinse them with cool water.
- Set them on a paper towel lined plate and pat dry.
- Heat up the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, dump in the chickpeas.
- Stir occasionally until browned and crispy.
- Remove from heat and dump into a bowl.
- Immediately at in the cheese, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Eat right away or let cool and enjoy later.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.