Happy September First! How in the world is it already September? Also, is it Fall yet? I’m SO over the dreadfully hot days here in Loma Linda.. it’s been about 110* most days the last few weeks. Although, Fall around here is just as miserable as Summer, so actually, I’m ready for Winter in Loma Linda!!
I guess this is how the recipe came to be.. I was trying to feel like it was Fall so I made some yummy cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal. It’s a quick and easy recipe which is perfect for me because breakfast still seems like the hardest meal to get together for myself with a baby.
Did I mention this is super easy? It’s only 2 steps!
The first step is to put milk into a saucepan and heat it up on the stove. Water can be used but I have always preferred using milk with my oatmeal; it tastes so much better! When you heat the milk, don’t let it boil and don’t heat it up too quickly you don’t want it to curdle. Keep the heat to medium-low.
Once the milk is warmed up, add in the oatmeal, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir to combine. This will take about 2-3 minutes to cook. It needs to bubble up a little and thicken, once it’s thickened it’s done.
I almost forgot to mention.. make sure you use quick cooking oats! I very rarely use quick cooking oats but that’s what makes this recipe so easy and fast to make!
That’s it! Voila!
Super easy, right? And SUPER delicious! This tastes like Fall in a breakfast dish.
I topped it with some fresh blueberries and had a super satisfying and filling breakfast.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 cup quick cooking Oatmeal
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Blueberries for topping, optional
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a saucepan and warm up over medium-low heat.
- Once warmed, add in the oatmeal, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a soft boil, still over medium-low heat, and once it bubbles and thickens it's done.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in additional 2 tablespoons of milk and top with blueberries.
- Serves 1 large portion or 2 small portions